So now I am officially an intern. My first day was January 5th. The first week was really exciting and hectic at the same time. Being a legislative intern I track bills that have any kind of impact on the Office of the Secretary. Even though it's only the end of my second week I've been to a dozen or more hearings in the House and Senate. It's really cool to actually watch the legislative process in action and get to see how things work. I attended the Governor's State of the State address and I really can't put in words how cool it was to be there.
It has definitely been crazy around my office the last two weeks also. The Presidential Preference Elections is coming up and the preperation for it is an enormous task. I never really thought about how much effort goes into any election before and after you cast your vote, but I am definitely getting first hand experience now. Everyone in the office are still great. Secretary Bennett is really nice. He's really down to earth and laid back. It was someone's birthday yesterday and he actually pulled out a guitar from his office and sang his own birthday song. I found out later that it's a tradtion and he does it for everyone. So far it's been a great experience and I look forward to next week. The waking up early is getting easier now also.
Hello Shawn, you are right that the Capitol is a very busy and exciting place right now. A lot of things are going to happen in the next 100 days in the Legislature. In the Secretary's Office I am sure it is even more action packed with the primary next month. Enjoy your time, session goes by very fast. Stop by if you are ever in the Senate.
ReplyDeleteHi Shawn, They say that timing is everything and this must be an especially exciting time in politics. Presidential elections are always important, but this is at an especially critical time for the U.S. I look forward to reading your future posts.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting to see how other parts of the government react to proposed bills while the legislature is in session. I hope you get the chance to explain some of the bills that may impact the office of the secretary. An "inside look" at how secretary of state's office views proposed legislation would be really interesting!
ReplyDelete